As a centrally placed department, the Office of the Premier of KwaZulu-Natal has the responsibility of providing strategic leadership and direction. It also coordinates programmes, legislation and transversal issues in the provincial administration.
While it is difficult to capture the specific roles of the Office of the Premier, with such a wide scope of responsibilities it can simply be said that the department has an overarching mandate to facilitate the workings of the various spheres of government in the province. To this end, the Office of the Premier has drawn up five strategic goals to pursue.
Coordinate the centre of government in the province
Provide cabinet secretariat services
Advise the premier on provincial strategic direction
Advise the premier on government organisation
Advise the premier on career incidents of heads of department
2. Formulate, coordinate and develop strategic planning policy and programmes, including priority socioeconomic programmes
Ensure a coordinated approach by provincial government in respect of strategic planning and macro policy development
Promote economic growth and fight poverty
Ensure successful implementation of priority socioeconomic projects and programmes in the province
Ensure the effectiveness of policy, planning and programme interventions through evaluation of strategic outcomes
3. Promote human rights in the province by focusing on women, disability, children, the youth and cultural, linguistic and religious rights, as well as the conservation and management of cultural heritage resources
Promote and coordinate human-rights programmes in the province
Coordinate the implementation of gender equality programmes
Conserve, manage and promote awareness of the cultural heritage resources in the province
4. Facilitate and coordinate the strengthening of governance and service delivery of the provincial administration
Coordinate and monitor the customisation, development and implementation of human resource policies, systems, programmes and plans for the province
Monitor and coordinate service delivery by the provincial government as a whole
Coordinate and monitor the strengthening of local government and promote sound cooperative governance in the province
Provide legal services and coordinate government information technology
Capacitate cabinet, cabinet clusters, ministries and departments in legal and policy formulation and implementation
5. Facilitate and coordinate the maximisation of revenue to the province from the gambling, gaming and betting industry
Monitor and verify the provincial revenue received in terms of the KwaZulu-Natal Gambling Act, 1996
Monitor and verify the provincial revenue received in terms of the Regulation of Racing and Betting Ordinance, 1957
Nature of Business: The Office of the Premier plays a pivotal role in the Provincial Government in rendering services to coordinate and support provincial departments and other government Institutions.
The mission of the Office of the Premier is to support the Premier in carrying out his constitutional and statutory duties.
* The Department fulfils this mission primarily by assisting the Premier in:
* Professionally executing the departmental mandates;
* Co-ordinating and facilitating macro-provincial and transversal issues;
* Promoting co-operative good governance;
* Providing the highest quality of analysis and advice;
* Creating policy relating to regulations, information and legislation; and
* Supporting the Executive Branch of the provincial government in executing laws and policies.
To be the professionally vibrant centre of provincial government.
Premier: Dr. Zweli Mkhize Director General:Mr NVE Ngidi