The Programmes of the Department of Sport and Recreation are giving life to latent and dormant talent and enthusiasm for sport and recreation. The Department has achieved outstanding success through the implementation of innovative programmes as it strives to take sport and recreation to the masses of people and re-establish it through the length and breadth of the Province.
As provincial custodians of sport and recreation, the Department is tasked with the responsibility of providing access to sport and recreation to all the people of KwaZulu-Natal. In this stead, strategic partnerships with stakeholders such as sport federations, sponsors, government departments and the municipalities have made it possible to take sport and recreation to community in KZN.
Provision of innovative programmes, coupled with investment in disadvantaged athletes from the poorest communities in the main, has allowed our province the opportunity to display their talents at provincial, national and international levels.
The programmes are aligned to the policy pronouncements as contained in Government's Programme of Action, Millennium Development Goals, Medium Term Strategic Framework and the Provincial Priorities. Sport and Recreation has a responsibility to promote national identity and social cohesion, and participation and achievement in sport and recreation will unite us as a Province and ensure that we improve on our performances.
MEC Arts, Culture, Sport & Recreation
Ms N. Sibhidla - Saphetha, MPL
Nature of Business: The Department of Sport and Recreation encourages and supports sporting activities in KwaZulu-Natal.
We will maximize opportunities through the promotion and development of sustained Sport and Recreation Programmes to improve the quality of life of the citizens of KwaZulu- Natal.
A winning province through sport & recreation.
In summary, the key deliverables for the Department over the next 3 financial years are:
* Development of priority A, B and minor codes of sport,
* Increasing the number of high performance athletes,
* Extending the mass school sport and community mass participation programmes and club development programmes to additional schools and communities from previously disadvantaged individuals,
* Creating a legacy for the mass participation programme and for sport development,
* The provision of sport and recreation facilities through the construction of combination courts, action soccer courts and various types of sports facilities,
* Skills development programmes for coaches, technical officials and administrators,
* Implementing of the 2010 business plan,
* Provide administrative support to various sport and recreation organizations and,
* Providing support for the hosting of major sports events in the Province.
MEC: MEC Arts, Culture, Sport & Recreation
Ms N. Sibhidla - Saphetha, MPL
Head of Department: Ms ZK Buthelezi - Head of Department (Acting)
KEY CONTACT PEOPLE
Chief Director- Corporate Governance: Mr. S.B. Singh
Chief Director- Human Capital Management: Mrs.A.L.Ally